Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Stories

My favorite story that we read this summer was the Veldt. The reasoning for this is that the Veldt kept you on your toes the entire story and had an ending which the first time I read through the story I had no idea was coming. It captures the use of foreshadowing perfectly once you go back and analyze the text on a closer level because the author had be dropping hints about the eventual death of the parents the entire story. The Veldt was just an exciting page turner which made me disapointed when it ended.

One story I did not like however was "Rules of the Game". This story was a whole lot of nothing to me. I do not understand how a girl can go from being really good at playing chess, take a break from it, and then come back and be awful at it. Then there is the dispute between mother and daughter over the mother being proud of her daughter and walking around with a magazine that has her daughter as the cover. I understand being embarassed but the way the girl flips out was rediculous. So the next several paragraphs are just the girl getting mad running away and trying to get a reaction from her parents (mom in particular) and her mother just stares at her silently.

No comments:

Post a Comment